Refunding Credit Card Payments
Log in and go to the reservation in question.
1. Click the green "Actions" button
2. Select "Issue a Refund"
3. Fill in Issue Refund form
- Select which payment you are refunding. If you only have one payment, you can do a partial or full refund.
- Type in the amount you are refunding. Do not use any currency symbols.
- Mark whether it is a security deposit. Security deposit refunds will not affect the balance.
- Add an optional note and click Refund. The note will appear on the receipt generated.
Note: You must select a booking payment in order to issue a refund. You do not have to refund the entire amount, but the booking payment you select must be equal to or greater the amount of the refund you are issuing.
Issuing a refund does not automatically send a confirmation email to your guest, even if you have selected Yes for the 'Generate Receipt' option. You would need to copy and paste the receipt link into a new message, or send the guest a template response. Learn more about emailing guests here.
Refunding Outside Payments
it is not possible to issue a refund for an 'outside payment' in the same manner as you would a credit card payment made directly through OneRooftop. Instead, you would need to delete the payment.
- In the reservation, click 'Rates & Fees'
- Scroll down to 'Payments'
- Click on the amount of the payment
Changing the type of refund
There are two type of refunds:
- Normal: Affects the amount paid/balanced owed.
- Deposit: Does not affect the amount paid/balanced owed.
If you accidentally select the wrong type of refund, you can change it by following these steps.
- In the reservation click 'Rates & Fees'
- Scroll down to payments
- Click the refund amount
- Change the deposit type
How long does it take refunds to process?
This depends on your bank and the guest's bank, but generally refunds are fully processed between 3-5 business days. If the refund was made over a weekend or bank holiday, it could take longer.
Will Stripe's processing fee be refunded?
In most cases, no, Stripe does not return the fees from the original charge when issuing a refund to a customer. However, this only applies to Stripe users who signed up on or after September 14, 2017. If you signed up with Stripe prior to that date, you are grandfathered into their previous process and will have those fees returned when refunding customers.
Are refunds automatically issued for security deposits or cancellations?
No, that must be done manually using the instructions in this article.
Why is the refund button not clickable?
You likely skipped the step of selecting a payment from which to issue the refund. If there are multiple payments made on the reservation, you can select any as long as is at least the amount you are trying to refund.